Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Graduation and More Travels

It seems like such a long time ago that I left my second home in England and came back to all that was familiar back in Missouri. Much has changed since then, and I have found myself constantly looking back at all the wonderful experiences and friendships that I made. It was wonderful coming back home, but I pretty much hit the ground running once I returned.



I graduated from Regent University in early May with my Bachelor of Arts degree in English, and I have to say it is one of the best feelings I have ever had! I'm still adjusting to all this free time I suddenly have, but I am more than enjoying it. To celebrate my graduation I took a trip with my good friend Katherine to one of the best cities (in my opinion) in the United States... New York City. :)

I saw two shows on Broadway, Mary Poppins and Newsies. I have loved the film version of Newsies since I was in the third grade, so seeing it in its Broadway debut was something I will never forget. The cast did an amazing job and I had the best time...




I have been to New York before, but I had never visited Ground Zero. I wanted to go there this time, and I have to say it was quite a humbling experience. The 9/11 Memorial is not finished yet, but they did have a temporary memorial preview site set up. It was one block away from where the twin towers fell, and it held images, video, and pieces of the shattered buildings. For a small crowded room in New York City it was oddly quiet, and the horrors of that day are eerily felt outside on those city blocks. I took a picture of the new Freedom Tower that is under construction at Ground Zero. It will be the tallest building in the United States when it is completed...


It was just a few short weeks after I went to New York City that I found myself on a plane once more, this time headed to New Orleans to visit my friend in her new hometown. It was my first visit to Louisiana and I had a great time. We drove to Biloxi, Mississippi one night to see Gavin DeGraw at the Hard Rock. It was a beautiful drive along the Gulf Coast, and an amazing concert...


We spent the rest of the time exploring the city and eating amazing food. All in all not a bad way to spend Memorial Day weekend. This is a photo of the Joan of Arc statue in the French Quarter...


Jackson Square was probably my favorite spot in New Orleans. Palm trees and beautiful buildings... the perfect combination!





My travels are over for the time being. I will just have to be content to stay in Missouri for a while! :) For those of you that may not have heard yet, I am going back to England this November to spend Thanksgiving with my dearest friends. As I mentioned before, I have missed them terribly and I cannot wait to see them all again. I truly feel as though a part of me is missing, and I just could not pass up the opportunity to go back to my second home.

I will be sure to keep you updated on anything new and exciting that happens to occur... you never really can tell what that may be in my life! :)



Flat Hannah's Corner

Oh c'mon. You didn't really think I could forget about Flat Hannah, did you?! Of course I didn't. She had to join me on my trips, because it just would not be the same without her anymore! Flat Hannah loved New York, and we visited many shops on 5th Avenue our first day there. Here is Flat Hannah amongst the NYC skyline...


She also went to see Newsies with me, and was interested to find out that the musical was based upon the actual newsboys strike of 1899...


Flat Hannah will undoubtedly join me this fall in England... as long as Real Hannah says it is ok, that is. :) Until next time!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment