Friday, December 9, 2011

Elizabeth Gaskell House

Last Sunday I ventured a few blocks away from St. Gabriel's Hall to the home where Elizabeth Gaskell, author of North and South among many other novels, once lived. I did not even know this place existed, so I'm very thankful for my new American friend Caitlin for letting me know and joining me on this mini-adventure. And what an adventure it was! The crazy Manchester weather decided to mess with us on our walk there. But neither rain nor hail could keep us away from one of our favorite authors. The house is only in the beginning stages of its restoration, but it was still incredible to see another sight of such literary inspiration. Here is a picture of the house. The outside restoration has just been completed...


We were greeted by the kind and knowledgeable members of the Gaskell Society, who helped us navigate the rooms and history of the house. The first room we saw was the study of Elizabeth Gaskell's husband, William. This room is currently a used bookshop that helps raise money for the restoration of the house. And yes, I did make a few purchases here... :)


William and Elizabeth were prominent members of Manchester society, and often wrote about the terrible conditions of the exploited working class. The Gaskell's moved into this house in 1850 and remained there until their deaths. They entertained many famous writers here including Charles Dickens, Charlotte Bronte, and Harriet Beecher Stowe. I can just imagine Charles Dickens in his dark waistcoat looking out of this window and commenting on the outside gardens...


Next we found the dining room, which is where Elizabeth wrote many of her novels. Yet again it was overwhelming to be in the same room were such influential literature was written...


The Gaskell Society even sells tea and cake, and if there is one thing I've learned in England you never say no to a cuppa and cake! In classic Mary-style I took a picture of my tea and cake - which was out of this world fantastic by the way - and so beautifully presented...


I am definitely going back to the Gaskell House some day, and the ladies there were confident that the restorations would be completed sometime in 2013. They told me the aim of restoring the house was to present it to the public as if it were still the 1850's and Elizabeth and William had just stepped out of the house. I can't wait to see the finished product!

As for me I am beginning my preparations for my long journey home. I have started packing a bit, and I think this time next week I will have to enlist my friends in the classic "sit on my suitcase so I can get it shut" moment. :) I have a feeling this will be a very emotional week, but I know I will treasure these months in England for the rest of my life.


Flat Hannah's Corner

Poor Flat Hannah. It's been so rainy and miserable she hasn't gotten to go anywhere. But she has been an excellent study-buddy for me. I have had to dig her out of my books and essays all week, but she has been a trooper. Here she is, ready to finish off her last week of university in England...


Side Note - Rubber duck in the picture was provided by my nephew, Jonathan. :)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment