Monday, November 14, 2011

Hebden Bridge, Haworth, and the Peak District

Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! I have as much soul as you, -- and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. - from Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre


I had a fantastic weekend! Friday night I left with my friend Natalie to stay at her parent's house. Natalie lives just a few rooms away from me, and I met her parents when they were helping her move in. When I told them that I was here studying British and Irish Literature they were full of great advice on what to visit and see. As an unbelievably generous treat, they opened up their home and time to show me where some of my favorite authors, the Bronte sisters, had lived. The Lewis's are the nicest family you can imagine, and made me feel like I was home for the first time in over two months. They are truly the best, and I had a great time getting to know them - and eating the wonderful home-cooked meals! On Saturday morning we started out with a full English breakfast - which was totally scrumptious - and then we all set out (with adorable Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Teddy) to explore the towns of Hebden Bridge and Haworth.


Our first stop was at Hebden Bridge, where we went into some of the best shops I have seen yet. Just when I think I've seen the cutest stores, Britain surprises me yet again! We walked around town and viewed the canal that winds its way by and through the town. Here is a picture I took while standing on one of the bridges...



Before we left Hebden Bridge we stopped at Walkely Clogs, where I tried on some authentic wooden clogs! It was my first time ever trying any on, and I have to say - they are super comfortable! Here is a picture of me - clearly very excited - at that moment!



We left that beautiful village and set out for the town of Haworth. Haworth is where the Bronte sisters, Charlotte, Anne, and Emily, lived and were buried. Natalie and I toured the Parsonage, where the writers lived, and it was very exciting to set foot in the exact room that Jane Eyre had been written in! Here is a picture of the Parsonage...


Afterwards we went back to the house, where I had yet another wonderful meal cooked by the amazing Wendy Lewis, and then it was back to Manchester for Natalie and I. And yet... the adventure doesn't end there! Natalie, Cheryl, and I were up bright and early on Sunday morning to tour the Peak District. The first stop was to Chatsworth House. This has been the home for the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, passed down each generation, since 1549. Now, for anyone who has seen the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice, Chatsworth was used in the film for Mr. Darcy's estate called Pemberley. It is one of the largest estates in England, and sits on 100 acres of beautiful countryside. The best part: The entire house was decorated for Christmas, complete with Christmas music playing throughout the house! I was in total heaven. Here is a picture I took in the Oak Room...


Ahhh... I could just curl up in that chair with a good book while Mr. Darcy stares adoringly at me...

Oops, sorry about that. Got a little carried away! :) The rooms were magnificent, as evidenced by this photo...


The paintings on the walls and ceilings were fantastic. For some reason they turned out very dark on my camera, but here is a section of ceiling that isn't too shabby...


Crazy, right? I can't imagine living there. The gardens outside were just as beautiful. Here is a picture of the house itself...


They are in the middle of a huge restoration project (naturally), but here is one of the views they used in the film I talked about earlier...


Outside the house they were also holding a Christmas Market, which we enjoyed walking through. It hosts different vendors selling food, drink, or crafts. We all snagged a pork sandwich (delicious!) and then churros with chocolate dipping sauce (yummy times two!). Our next and last stop of the day would be to the town of Bakewell, famous for their signature Bakewell Pudding. Now, I have tasted a 'Bakewell Tart' before in Manchester, but I was interested to learn that it was not really the famous dessert from this town (instead it's a sorry copycat). So that was our mission in Bakewell: find the real deal and try it for ourselves! Here is a picture of the quaint town of Bakewell...


We did find the original Bakewell Pudding and I waited until I got back to my room in Manchester before I tried it. I want to say, with total seriousness and honesty: This is the best sweet I have had. In. My. Life. It was basically a tart pastry shell, with some kind of yummy filling. It wasn't fruity, but I honestly don't know what it was, and apparently the people of Bakewell aren't giving out the recipe anytime soon. From what I understand, the recipe is - literally - under lock and key in a safe somewhere. My advice: Go to Bakewell, England. Soon! Here is a picture of my (half eaten) Bakewell Pudding...



It was a busy, but memorable weekend. I had a great time with Natalie, her wonderful parents, and Cheryl. The sights are wonderful here in England, but the people are going to be what draws me back.


Flat Hannah's Corner

Flat Hannah loved spending the weekend outside of the city. These cramped streets and loud noise can get tiresome after awhile. Breathing the fresh country air is just what she and I needed! Flat Hannah especially loved Bakewell, because we were able to see all kinds of wildlife! Here is a picture I took in Bakewell when we were watching some gorgeous mallard ducks (and this was just moments after Natalie was accosted by a kamikaze Seagull)...


While I work on finishing my essay for tomorrow Flat Hannah is going to be resting up for our next big trip! On Friday we are going to visit the home of another one of our favorite authors, Elizabeth Gaskell. Then this Sunday is another vintage fair in Manchester, so we couldn't say no to that! Next week we will be sad to miss Thanksgiving dinner at home, but are going to cure our homesickness by traveling to Bath for a few days. :) The adventures never cease here in England, but that's just the way we like it!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment