Friday, November 4, 2011

Edinburgh, Scotland

I'm back from the land of bagpipes and Nessie!

To sum up my time in Scotland I could just say: Wow! My friend Cheryl and I set out Wednesday morning for Edinburgh; it was our Reading Week and we were going to make the most of it. I have wanted to visit Scotland for so many years now so my expectations were high, and it certainly did not disappoint me. We left from Manchester Piccadilly Station. This is where I arrived when I first came to Manchester, so it was fun to go back and see the building again...



Upon arriving in the fair Scottish city I subsequently got us lost until we were able to figure out just what was north and what was south (trickier than you may think!). When we kept missing the street our hotel was located on we eventually figured out that it was actually below our feet! Edinburgh is basically a city on a giant hill, where streets often go over other streets (but thanks to unhelpful maps - we did not realize this!). We managed to find our way to the hotel, where the staff belatedly informed us of this common problem in navigating the city. Oh well - it's something we'll never forget that's for sure!

We spent the rest of the day shopping on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh's busiest tourist district. I was surrounded by wool, cashmere, kilts, and bagpipes - and I loved every minute of it! I bought way too much, but - then again - it is me. Glad to say that I found lots of unique Christmas gifts for the family! That night we ate at the Hard Rock Cafe that we stumbled upon, where I tried a Haggis Burger - a local delicacy I was told. Let me just briefly inform you of what Haggis is: sheep's heart, liver, and lungs mashed up and cooked in sheep's intestine's. Now, honestly, does this sound like something I would like? Naturally after one big bite I found it utterly revolting, but I can say I tried it now!

Thursday morning we set out early to see my first real castle - the famous Edinburgh Castle! Perched atop a hill at the beginning of the Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle is quite a sight to behold. Here is a picture from the parking lot in front...


Not only was the castle itself beautiful, but so were the views surrounding it. Here are a couple of pictures looking out onto the city of Edinburgh...



The water you see there is actually the Firth of Forth, where water eventually reaches the North Sea. We toured the castle and likewise viewed the Scottish Crown Jewels and the Stone of Destiny - which was amazing! They do not allow photos to be taken in that area, hence the lack of pictures. However I can say it was an honor to be able to view them, and I am very intrigued by the mystery surrounding the Stone of Destiny, where it came from, and why it is so important. Hmmm.... I smell a book idea perhaps!

After touring the castle we decided to explore Edinburgh's underground network of Close's, and went on a walking tour of the most famous of all - Mary King's Close. They did not allow photography in there either, but it was very interesting. Many peasant-class citizens lived in these Close's, often 13 in one small room, and it was hard to believe that people lived and worked in these tight and cramped spaces.  This is a picture of an existing outdoor Close...


Cheryl and I decided to torture our feet even more by hiking up Calton Hill, on the opposite end of town, to see the many monuments and views. It was well worth it in the end, because we saw some of the most beautiful scenery in Edinburgh. This is the National Monument at the top of Calton Hill...


We had been told that Scottish weather was unpredictable, but we were fortunate and had wonderful weather our entire trip! Here is a look at Edinburgh and surrounding cliffs from Calton Hill...


The other monument at Calton Hill was for Admiral Horatio Nelson. The tower can be seen from pretty much everywhere in the city, making it a distinct landmark...


After some more shopping (and walking) we visited the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen's residence in Scotland. Not as grand as Buckingham Palace, but I am sure Prince Harry and I will feel very comfortable there on holiday's... What? It could happen!

Today we wrapped up our visit by walking around the city once more - and buying those last few precious items that we (and by we I really mean I) couldn't live without.  I'm happy to be back in Manchester, but I loved every minute of Scotland. I definitely have to go back someday and visit the Highlands. After all, I may be the one to see Nessie and prove the existence once and for all!

I have a major essay due next week, so it is back to the books for me. However I am greatly looking forward to my trip to Haworth a week from Saturday, and then my tour of the Peak District a week from Sunday. So many sights to see, and so little time!


Flat Hannah's Corner

Flat Hannah absolutely loved Scotland! Most of all, she loved visiting Edinburgh Castle. Even though it was an early morning for us, we all had a blast learning the history - and mystery - of this place. For instance, did you know that this castle was actually built on a dormant volcano, or that its earliest records indicate it was first settled in the 2nd Century? Neither did we until our audio guide told us. :) Here is Flat Hannah outside Edinburgh Castle...


Flat Hannah and I also enjoyed visiting a monument for one of our favorite Scottish writers: Sir Walter Scott. After he passed away in the mid 1800's the City of Edinburgh and the Historical Society got together to pay tribute to their famous citizen. Here is Flat Hannah with the statue of Sir Walter Scott, which sits in the middle of the monument...


Flat Hannah is having a great time with me in England, but as our time here winds down we are still trying to see as much as we can - and loving every minute of it. :)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment